Contact Us Today! 206-504-2500


WA Ignition Interlock FAQs

Posted by Aaron J. Wolff | Sep 24, 2013 | 0 Comments

There is a lot of misunderstanding and questions about ignition interlock device requirements in Washington. Here is a look at some frequently asked questions as provided by the Washington State Department of Licensing.

Must I Tell My Employer About the Ignition Interlock Requirement?

In some cases, you may not have to let your employer know about the ignition interlock requirement. However, if your job requires that you drive a vehicle owned or controlled by your employer, you will have to let your employer know. That's because to legally drive a work vehicle without an ignition interlock device, you must have your employer sign a declaration that you're required to drive the vehicle during work hours.

In certain situations, you may be required to have an ignition interlock device installed in the work vehicle. This may be true if the vehicle is assigned exclusively to you and it's only used for your commute.

Do I Have to Install an Ignition Interlock Device in All My Vehicles?

If you plan on driving more than one vehicle, you must install the ignition interlock in each of the vehicles you plan to drive. However, if you own a vehicle, but don't plan on driving it, you will not have to install the device in that car.

Can I Get an Occupational/Restricted License Instead of an Ignition Interlock License?

Generally, you will have to obtain an ignition interlock license and have the ignition interlock device installed into your car. The Occupational/Restricted License is not available to drivers convicted of drunk driving or who are suspended or revoked by the Department of Licensing under the implied consent law.

What If I Am From Out of State?

Out-of-state drivers can apply for an ignition interlock license so long as you would otherwise qualify for a Washington license. Even drivers who have never had a license may apply for an ignition interlock license if they meet all other requirements.

Where do I get an IID?

It would need to be installed by an approved provider.  The WSP provides information on their website.

How Can I Contact a Seattle DUI Attorney?

If you have a question about a drunk driving arrest or ignition interlock requirement, contact Aaron Wolff or Chris Kattenhorn. You can reach us at 425-284-2000 to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.

About the Author

Aaron J. Wolff

A former DUI prosecutor, Aaron Wolff has over 18 years of experience in representing people accused of DUI and is recognized as one of the leading defense lawyers in Washington State. His relentless and passionate advocacy has lead to superb ratings and outstanding reviews from former clients.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Personalized and Prompt Attention

I pride myself in giving personalized and prompt attention to your case.

The Wolff Defense Difference

Experience. Passion. Innovation. Please contact us immediately for a free initial consultation.