Drunk driving can have devastating effects, and every time you get behind the wheel while intoxicated, you endanger your own life and the lives of others. While you probably know many of the risks already, they are certainly worth repeating. Here are just some of the possible consequences that impaired driving can have:
- Injury or death. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that in 2010, 211 children were killed in drunk driving crashes, and 62 percent of those children were riding with the drunk driver. Additionally, approximately 28 people are killed every day in America as a result of alcohol-related crashes.
- Damage to personal property. Even if you don’t injure yourself or anyone else, your impaired driving may still result in serious damage to your vehicle or other property. These damages can be extremely costly, and may even lead to DUI. Which brings up the next point:
- DUI. In Washington State, DUI charges are taken very, very seriously by law enforcement. Even if you have never received a DUI before, you may find yourself overwhelmed with penalties, like those outlined below.
- Incarceration. In Washington State, you can receive up to a year in jail just for your first DUI conviction. You may also be subject to electronic home monitoring (house arrest).
- Fines. DUI fines can be extremely hefty, and even a first offense can land you $5,000 in debt. Fines are especially high if your blood alcohol level registers over .15.
- Loss of driving privileges. If you’re a repeat offender, you may have your license suspended for up to 4 years, and even if you have no previous record, you can still lose your license for a year. You may also receive a mandatory ignition interlock device for your vehicle.
- Loss of employment. A DUI on your record can have a serious impact on your employment, unfortunately. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s extremely important to fight the charges.
- Increased insurance costs. Once you do have your license returned to you, you’ll have a whole new set of problems to face, as your insurance rates may increase dramatically.
If you have received a Washington State DUI charge, or any other state DUI charge, your first step must be to hire a qualified lawyer! At Wolff Defense, our Seattle DUI lawyers are extremely qualified and have helped countless DUI suspects. Call us today to discuss your case. Don’t try to fight this alone.